Jan 8, 2021
In this episode of the podcast,
Tammie Miller and Tim Oleszczuk, your hosts, are joined by Jim
O’Rourke who is the former president and CEO of A&A Manufacturing. Jim sold to private equity and
is sharing in this episode the details about this process, the pros
and cons, and how he rolled equity as part of that
- [1:28] Jim shares the main aspects of the
- [3:18] Jim shares how they encountered a
- [4:01] Deciding to take the private equity
- [4:45] Jim shares the basics of the structure
coming out of the deal.
- [5:22] Jim explains how his role changed, from
prior to after the transaction.
- [6:10] The deal was finalized in 2007 and in
2008 the economic crisis shook the financing world, Jim shares his
experience during those times.
- [9:10] Jim shares the particularities of his
family business entering private equity.
- [10:51] Jim talks about enjoying the
interactions and the pressure created by transitioning to private
- [17:17] Jim shares why this was a very
successful transaction for him.
- [18:18] Jim extends his advice to anyone
considering selling to private equity.
- [18:35] Go into the process with a really
strong management team.
- [19:00] Jim shares how he communicated to his
management team that they were selling to private equity and talks
about their reaction.
- [20:54] Jim talks about how employees were
introduced to the change of ownership.
- [23:00] The process of selling a business is
incredibly overwhelming on the management team.
- [26:43] Jim gives his advice to those
interested in co-investing as a previous owner.
If this topic interests you, check out these other
The Second Bite of the Apple
“Rolling Equity in a Business
“If You Own a Business, You Need to
Care About Private Equity”
“4 Advantages & Disadvantages
of Remaining a Shareholder After an